Breaking

12/07/2016

TY Bello Shares Xray Of A Soldier Fighting Boko Haram In Maiduguri

Celebrity photographer, TY Bello, who just returned
from Borno state, shared this photo of an xray
showing an anti aircraft bullet lodged in a soldiers
throat. She wrote:

"Soldier X:While I made portraits of our wounded
soldiers at the military hospital in Maiduguri, one of
the soldiers made a statement that I haven’t been
able to shake off, “ one way you know a soldier has
been hit is that they suddenly start shouting out
names of family members.

"This statement kept playing over and again in my
mind, especially when I got the most colourful
welcome from my family, barely a week away on
this journey.Many soldiers, play this long overdue
welcome party in their heads daily, and the sad thing
is that for some, it may never happen.

I had long conversations with soldiers about how
they got wounded in battle.They told me how
grateful they were to be alive, some of their
colleagues weren’t as lucky. I also got to speak
with medical personnel, on the uniqueness of their
work in a war against terror. I'll share all their
stories here and start by introducing Soldier X, who
I never met, but made a photograph of his Xray .An
anti aircraft bullet, big and strong enough to tear
through the titanium body of an airplane, was
lodged in his throat, and for some reason, it didn’t
blow his head off, this soldier lived through his
surgery and got to take the removed bullet home as
a reminder.

This is a wicked wicked war!Why would anyone
chose weapons made to attack war planes and use
it on a fellow human ... At close range ..Even in war
there should be rules. Lieutenant Ologodo told me
something really important, that if you don’t believe
in God, working here will make a convert out of you,
the frequency of witnessing the darkest of evil
deeds, along side what can only be miraculous, will
open your heart somehow.This is such a brutally
wicked war !#tybellophotography #portrait#unknown
soldier #Nigerianarmy #bokoharam
#woundedsoldier #borno #war#waronterror@.